EU Regulation 852/2004 Hygiene for Foodstuffs requires Food Businesses to make sure that any staff who handles food are supervised, instructed and trained in Food Hygiene in a way that is appropriate to the work they do.
This Virtual College course is a self-study course (formerly known as Foundation or Basic Food Hygiene) and maps to the Industry Standards set by People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for the Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism industries. This course is aimed at anyone working in catering or hospitality whether employed or self employed, working in restaurants, hotels, fast food outlets, takeaways, cafes, bars, kitchens, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges. It allows every catering business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
On completion of this Virtual College course learners should understand:
- Why food hygiene and safety is important
- Their personal and legal responsibilities
- The impact of food borne illness
- How food becomes contaminated
- How to prevent contamination through good hygiene practices
- How to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- How to control food safety hazards at critical control points using a HACCP based Food Safety Management System
Upon completion of this online training material learners will sit an online test and on successful completion, will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene meeting the legal training required, which must then be applied to work situations.
Upon completion of this Virtual College module learners will have an understanding of a wide range of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control. Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from delivery through to sale, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply to the workplace.
The sections covered include:
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness – looking at what food-bourne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law – food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination– exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control- how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene – this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from hand washing to legal requirements.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment – this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) - it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
Anyone handling food and drink within the catering sector must be trained in Food Safety and Hygiene and apply it to their work. This module is aimed at anyone working in a catering or hospitality environment, whether employed or self employed, who handles food and drink as part of their everyday or occasional working routines. Typically this would include people working in hotels, cafes, bars, restaurants, kitchens, fast food outlets, catering in hospitals, schools and colleges.
Approximately 2-3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
This food safety and hygiene course is aimed at anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people; regulations require that anyone involved in food handling must be appropriately trained in food safety. The module can be used either as Induction, Awareness, Refresher and Foundation Training.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
The content of this Virtual College course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is Accredited by City & Guilds.
Note, this course is an accredited training programme, should you require a full qualification you will be required to undertake an additional assessment by visiting an accredited test centre at an additional cost.
When you have successfully completed your Virtual College course and attained the 75% required test pass, you will be able to download a City & Guilds Accredited Certificate. The certificate should be displayed to show appropriate training has taken place.
£15.00 + VAT (£18.00 inc VAT) - This price includes a self-printed certificate.